Surviving Christmas on the Road by Jenny on December 16,
My holiday will be spent in Laramie, Wyoming. It has been officially determined that I will be on call over the Christmas holidays. As you can imagine, I was a bit bummed about the news.
Although I have been longing to see my family, I am determined to have a positive attitude. Going home would be expensive and now I have the opportunity to help someone having a bad holiday and make some money. Right?
Our plans to celebrate Christmas in Laramie include a quaint dinner for two, playing games, drinking cocoa, attending church, and making the most of our time together.
I could be depressed or I can embrace the fact that when life gives you lemons…make lemonade!
We went shopping over the weekend and bought Scrabble…I haven’t played Scrabble in a decade. Although we planned on breaking the seal on the game over the holiday, the kid in us screamed play me now. One word…addictive!
If you ever buy Scrabble, grab the game with the interlocking pieces, you will thank me later.
I thought of a few other random ways to bring in the season…
- Volunteer at a shelter serving Christmas dinner
- Decorating a fresh cut Christmas tree
- Renting old Christmas movies and having a day of Christmas movies
- Sending Christmas cards to relatives
- Skype family on the holiday
- If you are somewhere snowy, ski, snow shoe, or hike
- Read a good book
- Help at a nursing home (there are many people who would love to just sit and chat)
- Some areas offer gatherings for people who are alone on the holidays
If you have some fabulous ideas on ways to spend the holiday when you are away from family, I would love to hear them.